it's orange, it's delicious, it isn't pumpkin: a recipe

i'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but up until this weekend, i was a butternut squash virgin. of course i knew what it was, and i'd seen recipes for it here and there, but for some reason, i just never tried any - until last week. i'm guilty of finding recipes i kind of like, and then basically rewriting them to suit my tastes. so i saw a recipe for butternut squash (where, i can't remember) and knew that i liked some of the ingredients, but not others, so i figured i'd give it a go and make up my own. i wasn't disappointed!

we'll call it crusted butter nut squash. oh, and before we get to the details, i have to tell you this: chris is what you might call a food snob - he'll say he doesn't like a food without ever trying it, or if he didn't like a food fixed a certain way twenty years ago, he doesn't want to try it fixed another way now. anyway, when i told him that i was going to fix butternut squash he turned his nose up and said it didn't sound good. obviously the man's crazy. when he cut a bite to put in his mouth, the look on his face suggested he was about to eat a turd, but once he started chewing, he realized it was actually good and told me the only way he'd eaten it before was when his mom would bake it with cinnamon. so the moral of the story is, don't say you don't like something without at least trying it!

for this recipe you will need:
-1 butternut squash
-1/3 cup bread crumbs
-1/3 cup parmesan cheese (the real kind, not the powder kind)
-1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
-1/2 teaspoon oregano
-1/2 teaspoon basil
-olive oil

*i think the next time i make it i'll use a little more garlic and spices, but you should make it according to how much you like the spices.

cut the squash into slices about 1/4" thick (you can go thicker, but it will take longer to cook) and peel the skin off. pour some olive oil into a large freezer bag and toss the squash in; be sure the squash is coated in olive oil so the crust will stick. mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and dip the squash in making sure to cover it well! bake at 400 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until the squash is done.

then serve it to your husband and tell him he better like it or... i'll let you finish that part. if you decide to try it, let me know what you think!

13 comments:

  1. My guy's the same way. What's that about?! It's so frustrating! And his "trying it" is the tiniest most gentle lick. Now I say he has to take at least a good bite. I don't really care if he hates it (not everyone likes everything), but gawd. A LICK?! Come on!

    This looks delicious! I should get some this week. You should try acorn squash next. It's my favourite. Baked with some parmesan on top. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, i actually saw some stuffed acorn squash yesterday that someone made and i told myself i needed to try it! and with parmesan?! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm, that sounds great. I'll have to try that! I do the same thing with recipes. I always scoff and say, oh there's an easier way to do that, or oh it would taste better this way. My policy is that if I'm going to eat it, then I know best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks yummy! i am sure you can use pumpkin to replace the butternut right? i made pumpkin pie this weekend and the pumpkin i used was pretty big so i have lots of pumpkin puree left over! might try this out!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes yes yes! I want to make this now! SO GOOD! Do you grow squash in your garden??

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good, Danielle. I think I'd serve with with some kale of some sort on the side. I like that you baked it instead of frying it, too. And one last thing, I think it's super cute that you talk about "fixing" foods. I love that expression! No one says that in my part of the world. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. april, your policy is perfect! i do that all the time ;)

    cb, i bet punpkin would work. let me know how it turns out!

    beca, we grow yellow squash and zucchini, but not butternut. i think butternut is a winter squash.

    sarah, you're so healthy with your talk of kale. but i did have it with garden salads topped with grilled chicken, so i guess that isn't so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds fantastic!!

    I've been a follower of your blog for a about a year, via Micaela, and I love all your new jewelry creations! I'm living in India, but once I get back I'm looking forward to making some purchases for xmas :)

    I don't know why it's taken me so long to comment, because I really do adore your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your sense of humor cracks me up!
    I always giggle when reading your posts.

    "or else" was the cherry on top for giggles this AM.

    I wonder if I ever ate butternut squash before.... I know I haven't intentionally... but perhaps it was mixed in there somewhere in a dish.... I try not to be a food snob and try everything (at least once & especially if I am eating at someone's house & they cooked) EXCEPT green peppers, those I can't even be bribed to eat. ;p

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delish! And welcome to the wonderful world of butternut squash :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. katie, thank you so much for leaving me a comment! you don't know how happy comments make me!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!