the art and the seeing eye dog.

wow, this was such a long and busy weekend that i actually kind of don't feel like even typing a blog post! but i'll tough it out. so, one thing i'm really excited about is my new art, courtesy of my friend allyson. she and i did a trade, and i couldn't be happier! i actually wasn't expecting the paper cut in the frame, but how sweet is she to make me one?! i put the larger print in a huge antique gesso frame that sits on the mantle in my living room so anyone who comes in my front door can see it. i think it might be my favorite yet!

now, the seeing eye dog. saturday morning chris woke up at about 4am with an intense burning in his eye. then a little while later he tried to wake me up, and while i was already awake, i just ignored him and pretended like i was still sleeping. a little while later he asked me when i was waking up and said that he needed my help. he told me about his eye, and after looking at it and noticing several small white spots at the bottom of his iris, i told him he should make an appointment with the doctor. after spending a long time in an emergency doctor's appointment, we discovered that chris has multiple corneal ulcers caused by a combination of foreign material and contact lenses. so then, we spent the rest of the day looking for somewhere that could make eyeglasses that day, and we spent the day today getting new eye drops and waiting for his glasses to be finished. because chris is very, very blind, with a prescription of -6.75, he isn't able to walk into the stores without having me guide him or point him to where a person is standing; he's obviously not able to read a menu at lunch; he certainly isn't able to drive. so until about 4:00 this afternoon when his glasses were finished, i've been a seeing eye dog, a chauffeur, and a menu reader for him. i even had to tell everything that was going on in the tv show we were watching as he could only hear it. i don't mind helping him, but man is it ever weird to go from having a husband who can see and do things for himself to having one who is just about helpless!

oh, and here's one thing i'm not happy about: on our way home on saturday evening, i saw a snake crossing the road. it's the first one i've seen this year, which means i'll be staying out of the woods until november when the beasts aren't slithering around just waiting to scare me. gross.

so how has your weekend been?

10 comments:

  1. for some strange reason, i saw the title of this blog post and I thought you were going to tell a a story about a seeing eye dog that helped to find you great art. That would be awesome and great. Having to BE a seeing eye-helper is not. In fact, opposite of that. There has been only one time that I had to take care of Doug 100% and it made me so sad, I hate seeing him in pain or hurting. You guys should get Kona certified and then you can take him everywhere!!
    Also, those prints are pretty spectacular.
    xoxoxox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I didn't know your eye could be effected by contacts like that. I guess it makes sense. I am pretty blind in my left eye. Thankfully my right eye is only slightly off so I am not completely helpless sans corrective lenses. Ha. Your poor hubs! Nice artwork too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I hope that Chris is feeling better! Good thing he's got you to help him out when he needs it. I'm wondering if you've ever heard of seeing-eye miniature horses. They seem to exist, in fact, people actually make shoes for them: http://www.guidehorse.com/horse_sneakers.htm

    Good luck avoiding those snakes! Gross! (Sometimes I tell my friends your nasty eel story!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great artwork...but holy scariness batman...regarding your hubs blindness!! That is super scary. I prefer glasses...contacts have not been right on me since I had laser surgery which corrected my eyesight for only 2 and half years...then my eyesight reverted. Glasses it is! You both must have been so scared. Glad you got him some glasses, maybe he'll convert to being an all the time glasses wearer like myself. Hint: you might want to go ahead and be cheesey and get him sunglasses that fit over his glasses...I have some and love them..even if they make me look 85 :). hearts, Janna lYnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw poor chris! he's blind as a bat! thank god you guys figured it all out<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe it or not, I am actually more blind than Chris and you just described one of my biggest fears! I wear my contacts until the moment I go to bed. While I do have glasses, I can't wear them very long nor can I drive with them. Everyone tell me to get lasik but I couldn't fathom what I would do if it was a botched job, eep! Chris is lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i can't even imagine how hard that must be for him (and for you) let your patience stay strong! omg snakes. i was biking through our park the other day and saw a snake the size of my arm right smack dab in the middle of the path. i swear my heart stopped. i'll be right there with you, straying away from nature until those creatures go into hiding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude, same prescription as me. Yup, I'm THAT blind. That's SO sad that contacts & whatever else did that to his eye though! I am SO freaked out by eye stuff because of being so damn blind my whole life. Lazic scares the crap outa me & omg...this just freaked me out. Good think I rarely wear contacts! It's just so bright here that I HAVE to wear them most of the time. Oye. So is there any way to reverse this? Like, help his eyeball heal?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yikes! i am glad that chris is ok! i bet you are a wonderful seeing eye dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, sucky!! Hopefully this is something that will heal after he lets it rest while wearing glasses??

    Also, love the art!! The first piece is my fave.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!