mutha, there is no otha

happy mother's day, moms! so, i was talking to my good friend carla on friday, and one thing we discussed at length is how so many of us feel that we can't truly open up on our blogs for fear of angering someone. well, i'm about to take my own advice and just speak the truth. so, i haven't seen my mom for, i don't know, 9 years now? and for a while before that, our relationship was strained to say the least. so when mother's day rolls around, it's not quite the same for me as it is for most others, but this isn't a woe is me post, not by any means. i've never gone without motherly love, and the one person who has been there for me my entire life, who has been ready to do whatever i could possibly want or need (whether i deserved it not), and the one who has been a true mother to me, is my grandma. anything you receive and expect from a mother - love, nurturing, encouragement, and even frustration - i've gotten from grandma. so dahlin, thanks for the mac & cheese, the sleepovers, the salt & vinegar chips, helping me catch baby sharks at the beach that one year, the sixlets, the back scratches, and the knee squeezes and that funny noise you make while you squeeze. i love you thiiiiis much!

and because i'm just not myself if i can't be sarcastic or bring humor into even the most serious situations, i thought you might enjoy a little mr. t and a music video this beautiful sunday afternoon...

10 comments:

  1. Your grandma sounds like an awesome lady. Hug her a little extra hard today.
    I love this post, Danielle. Made my heart do a little flip.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are all kinds of moms out there...mothers day is not my favorite day...made even rougher by the blogging community that seems to all have great relationships with their moms. But I have an awesome MIL and both grandmas who are really great.
    you're brave for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap danielle! i just almost spit out my ginger beer all over the computer when mr. t started singing!!! thanks for that!!! ha ha ha!
    happy mother's day to they other crazy bird lady, who is the best bird mom fo' sho'!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about opening up. I'm not that "big" anyway but I'm still a little afraid to, people who claim to be so nice and accepting would probably un-follow me if I was entirely open..

    this post was candid, and I liked it. Happy mother's day to your gramma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really talk about my personal life on my blog and even though sometimes I want to share things that are painful, I'm afraid of consequences it will bring. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing person and I'm glad you have her! xoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, so cool. Through the good, the bad, the funny, the crazy, moms & grandma's & motherly figures are always our favorite people whether we want to admit it or not. & Mr. T is my hero so yeah, best post evah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great, honest post - and a bit of an antidote to the ubiquitous mother's day posts. Your grandmother sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww. i love this danielle. sounds like you are very lucky to have such a wonderful grandma - and i'm pretty sure she feels just as lucky to have you. thanks for sharing friend. hope you had a good weekend!

    xo
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. my grandma is definitely my mother figure, too! on mothers day, i always feel like such an outsider because although I am on speaking terms with my mom, it's not something i spend the day celebrating. it's difficult, especially when you're a blogger and get a million new posts in your reader, to see everyone's super awesome relationship with their mom when you don't have one. i can relate! thanks for writing this post!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!