romancing the home

happy valentine's day, friends! bwow chicka bwow wow. chris and i don't really do anything for valentine's day - not because we're anti-celebratory people who think hallmark made valentine's, blah, blah, blah, but because we're just happy to eat dinner while watching a movie on the sofa - but i think this year if i were going to celebrate, i'd show my house how much i love it! and what better way to show love than with a gift that keeps on giving? live plants!

as with life, romance, and funerals, i always think it's important to have a sense of humor with your house and things that go in it. a pink giraffe planter, who would've expected that? a little piece of funny from boy-girl tees.

one thing i can't get enough of is any sort of plant that can be propagated so easily you could do it blindfolded and with your toes. enter succulents. i have a little succulent garden on my living room coffee table, but i'm planning to add a few new species like the ones pictured above from succulents galore. and let's face it, what are plant clippings without planters? trashbound. vintage planters from harlow monroe vintage and bombshell bettie's vintage.

these don't really need any explanation; i just want them. hanging air plant pods from mudpuppy.

so how are you celebrating valentine's day? are you exchanging presents, and if so, what are you getting or asking for?

20 comments:

  1. For Valentine's Day I'm coming to your house and watching you through the window. Oh, wait...

    We have like no money this year from our move, so Valentine's Day will be spent packing and getting a free tattoo. And maybe pizza later. We're the same as you guys--it's a fun day and a fun excuse to eat nice food or something, but nothing to get your panties in a twist over.

    We can't keep plants alive in our house as we have no windows that face the sun. Hoping that will be rectified in our new place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all of it. I have a little plant like the ones in the middle picture, what are they called? I named mine button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. caitlin, thanks for letting me know you're coming here, because i was getting a back packed to head to your house. only i'm going to wait in the shower to scare you and your hairy legs.

      rebecca, to be honest, i'm so bad at remembering all of the succulents, but i know there are echiverias and donkey's tails in picture, but that's all i know!

      Delete
  3. Dammit, I already shaved my legs! Will you still come over?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. everything in this post is brilliant, I want that giraffe! And i'm totally into the succulent thing at the moment, they're like the easiest pet you can ever imagine, and i think the colours are wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. succulents really are the best. there are so many varieties, and i love that they're not so high maintenance!

      Delete
  5. haha i love it! we don't celebrate it either but i did request ravioli because i feel on v day i want to eat pasta for some weird reason. we will for sure watch tv and snuggle on the couch just like every other night. love the first planter, have you seen the dinosaur ones? those are so cool too!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, pasta is SO good! i did see the dinosaur ones, and i loved the pink brontosaurus!

      Delete
  6. THe ways in which I am obsessed with air plants and succulents...well...it probably shouldn't be admitted in public! I have dreams of a giant hanging terrarium full in my dining room someday! Happy Valentines Day!
    Xo Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i kind of want a giant hanging one, too, and i was actually looking at some of the globes the other day thinking about where i'd hang it if i made it!

      Delete
  7. I love the pink giraffe planter, so cute! I agree that it's best to have a sense of humor with sweet stuff, so it's not quite so sappy :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Uhhhh, those hanging upside downy ones are kind of amazing. They scare me a little bit though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I. Want. That. Giraffe. These are so cute! My beau and I didn't do a whole lot for Valentine's Day either. Just relaxed on the couch :) No homework for a change was excitement enough! Haha :)
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. celebrations on the sofa are always the best :) hooray for no homework!

      Delete
  10. i have GOT to get some succulents. I am the worst at keeping plants alive, but i need some in my house! maybe air plants will work for me. haha.
    we brought home burritos and watched a movie for valentine's day too. i just wasn't in the moood to wait hours at a restaurant last night.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been thinking about getting some succulents! I think you convinced me with the hanging plants. Anything that can hang up-side down that shouldn't normally hang upside down is definitely something I should have.

    darladear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love succulents too and had a couple but I somehow managed to kill them. I swear I have a black thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so pretty - i definitely want a hanging plant now.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!