beads and leopard: an outfit post

i have two stories about this outfit. first, chris wanted me to listen to a story on NPR regarding trends seen at NYFW. in the story, they talked about how they were seeing more evening fabrics and details being worn in the day (beads, brocade, sequins, etc.), and how it was all about bold accessories. so i couldn't help but feel, as my grandma would say, "right in style," when i showed him this outfit i had picked out already that included a glamorous beaded shell.

jacket: american eagle via tj maxx about 8 years ago, beaded shell: kenneth jay lane, skirt: vintage/thrifted, leopard wedges: payless, bracelets: vintage/thrifted

the second story is along the same lines as the one i first told you about here. like i said in that post, a person's opinion of my clothes or style has no bearing on my decision to wear or not wear something; to the contrary, my overwhelming defiance (that only gets stronger with age) pushes me to wear something even more offensive to said opinionated person. having said that, when the same person - a middle-aged, straight male - continues to give a running fashion police style commentary on my outfit each time i see him, i get annoyed. i dress for myself; i'm only interested in whether i like my outfit, but when it becomes the weekly routine to be made fun of and nitpicked literally from head to toe, i can't help but get frustrated, and even kind of angry. so i'm interested in your advice. seeing as how the client is always right (psssh, whatever!), i can't say anything that will anger them, but i feel it's past time to say, in a firm enough manner to let them know i'm very serious, that this WILL stop. how would you approach something like that, and how would you put into words that you don't want to hear it anymore? on a more positive note, every outfit he's put down has actually turned out to be one of my favorites!

okay, i just thought of one more thing to tell you. i had to show those two pictures of flojo with her beak open and her afro out because i thought they were hilarious! she hates, HATES cameras, so i know in those pictures she's bullying the camera for being near her!

21 comments:

  1. i love this outfit! I think the jean jacket and sequins are a perfect match. And Flojo is the perfect accessory! :)

    My best advice is the next time this person says a thing about your outfit, very kindly say, "I love the clothes that I wear and I wear them for myself, so thanks for sharing your opinion, but I am not looking for any fashion advice today." or you can tell him to suck it and karate chop him in the throat. You decide. loves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, you give the best advice, and i think i'd definitely like to go with the suck it/throat chop combo! then he'd know i mean business. <3

      Delete
    2. nothing like a good throat chop - my sentiments exactly beca ;)

      Delete
  2. First - I LOVE that gorgeous top you are wearing - the details are SO pretty! And second...that guy is the WORST! I'm really self conscious, so when someone makes a comment about my outfit - I take it to heart, and then usually make fun of myself with them as a coping mechanism. But I really think blogging has made me become more confident - and it sounds like it has done the same for you! It's a tricky situation b/c you don't want to piss off the client - but it's also totally ridiculous for him to be making snide comments about your outfits - and I think it's very appropriate for you to say something next time he does!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you look so cute! i love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you, annie! i couldn't imagine anyone making a comment about your outfit other than how pretty it is because you have great style! i guess some people never grow up though and think it's okay at any age to pick on people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are hilarious - i love that you defy through clothing. and flojo is the perfect accessor in my opinion! xox have a lovely tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your outfit, and the bird I see as a wonderful accessory ha-ha Just Kidding...And to "that guy" he is a jerk if he speaks to you like that. As D.R Seuss says "People who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind". He speaks the truth. Good luck speaking with him...
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the last shot where you're both looking down - so cute! :)
    And can I also say: one of the things I love the most about your outfit posts is the words that go with them. So many style posts are simply image heavy, and yours have real sentiment, humour and stories that make them so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a putz! Just brush that dirt off your shoulder girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. look at al that pretty sparkle! i love it sweetie and you look great!

    as for the guy, i would just ignore him but if he says anything further just pull him aside tell him that the way you dress is none of his business and you would greatly appreciate if he would refrain from saying anything regarding your attire. if he doesn't have anything nice to say then he shouldn't say anything at all, plainly put. we dress for ourselves and not for anyone else. stick to your guns and you will be fine!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous! :)
    I agree with Beca. Karate chop him in the throat, haha :D
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look spectacular! You seem so put together in every outfit post, everything just flows so elegantly and you just ROCK!!!

    As for nit-picky McGee, I would say something like "While it's an absolute pleasure to hear your commentary on my outfit choices, I am a unique individual that wears what she wants because she feels GOOD IN IT. And I do. And I love IT! And that's all that really matters to me."

    ...Okay, so it's snarky. You piss me off, you get snark. So don't go there, mmmkay?! *snap snap snap*

    ...I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think the first comment/advice was dead on... i personally would probably say something sassy or compliment his fashion opinion by telling him he should be a fashion editor for vogue since he has so much to say about it. if that didn't work i'd tell him that he's being really unprofessional and acting like a school girl heh. he might not even realize he's doing it and just be one of those people, i always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and take the nice route but only once and if that doesn't work i just get well, direct and maybe mean :) also it took me a really long time to figure out what nyfw stood for!!! and i love the beaded stuff, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr client sounds like a right a hole! I would love to say something like "you know, it's funny you comment so much on my outfits....being the fashion critic you are, you must really know your women's clothing - I'd love to see your collection".

    And, like we will all tell you here, your outfits rock! Also, I will never get over how good those wedges are!
    toni xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. i remind myself of this daily: "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!" i realize this is a total kindergarten mantra, but if you say this to your client, he may realize how his words affect others. good luck!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow, i seriously can't believe he's saying something! you honestly look stunning to me and very well put together. always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a colorful little accessory ;) Haha. You look gorgeous. I love your jacket/top combo.

    See Me Rwar

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm new to your blog - I love Flojo! Gorgeous. I'm sorry about this client. That's quite unprofessional on his part. I think you should just tell him that if you ever need fashion advice he'll be the first person you call but for the moment you're okay and you'd like it if you could focus on {insert whatever needs to be focused on here} I hope it stops.

    ReplyDelete
  18. are you curling your hair or is it natural. LOOKS AMAZING!!! F the bad commentary from a male.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!