stripes, flowers, and bear hair: an outfit post

when getting ready for work, two things happen: first i pull out a ton of clothes because it's fun to mix and match and try to wear things differently than last time. second: i look at what i put on and ask myself, "what sort of jokes will my clients make at my expense?" the answer to that question used to scare the hell out of me, which in turn put the same boring, predictable outfits on repeat week after week. now, if i think they'll tell me it looks like i'm wearing old curtains, i got dressed in the dark, or i look - as i was told when i wore this last friday - like a schizophrenic sailor, then i consider it a success!

wooden sunglasses: c/o tumbleweeds, silk sweater: halston (thrifted for $3!!!), floral blouse: target, cropped pants: old navy, wedges: target

i was so happy with this sweater when i founded i may have screamed. i couldn't wait to wear it, and since the weather has been exceptionally pleasant (meaning i don't have to wear a coat) i was happy to be able to wear it without it being covered up! now, back to jokes being made at my expense. my client made comments about my blouse, the tie on it, the length of my pants, the style and color of my shoes, and my pattern mixing. had i been the old danielle, i would have made up an excuse to rush out, then i would have cried as i drove away. the new and improved danielle listens (a little bit), but smiles and tells the person that life is too short not to have fun and be yourself. and i mean it. it gets people nowhere to laugh at or make fun of someone else, but it gets you everywhere when you have confidence and enjoy something as small as playing dress-up as an adult!

to elaborate a little further on having confidence, i still have a long way to go in other areas, but as far as clothes go, while i'm obviously not starting any new trends or doing anything groundbreaking, i've stepped out of my comfort zone of dressing to please others, and started doing what i like regardless of what my overly-opinionated male clients think. and you know where this sudden boost of confidence came from? blogging. getting positive feedback from so many amazing readers has helped more than you can imagine, and looking at other blogs with outfit and style posts has reminded me that clothes can be just another medium with which to create. it's reassuring seeing other bloggers in small towns (that are, like mine, filled with closed minds) making a statement, thinking outside of the box, and showing that it's okay to be yourself no matter who may stare. so for that, i thank you!

what's bear hair? kona, who is lovingly called bear hair thanks to the fact that labs blow their coats a couple times a year leaving me in black cloud of dog fur, is always nearby watching me take pictures, and since he doesn't make many appearances on my blog, i figured i'd give him a little extra attention include him so i can brag about how handsome he is!

and one last thing: toni of lost cabin vintage was kind of enough to include me in her meet the maker series here!

19 comments:

  1. kona is so handsome. i love including the pups in my photos. and this really is my favorite outfit ever!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally identify with what you're saying here - stepping outside your clothing comfort zone is definitely a good thing. I think this outfit is really cute, and there are much more important things to be critical of that people's personal style!
    Especially love those shoes. Oh, and the beautiful black lab, too - my Grandparents had black labs when I was little, and they've been my favourite dogs ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, rachel! labs are my favorite, too. i love dogs in general, but i just don't think you can find a personality better than a lab's.

      Delete
  3. I was hoping bear hair meant your hair, but it obviously doesn't. Like today, I just combed my hair (CURLY HAIR COMBED? OMG) and I look a little like a lion. But I washed it yesterday, but then slept with it in a pony tail. So, it was look like a lion, or look like a slick headed seal. Ugh. Anyway, I like your schizo sailor look. You wear it well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, when you said you looked like a lion, i could totally see it! my hair isn't nearly as curly as yours is, but i don't brush it specifically to avoid the fluff that results from brushing!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love all the outfits you have been putting together. I also wanted to say that I don't brush my hair because it is wavy and when I do brush it my hair looks like a total mess. The only time I brush is when it is wet. I love the stripes I have a striped sweater similar to that one and it is my favorite sweater to wear. I only wish I could figure out so many ways to wear it so that it won't look like I am wearing the same thing over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute but very chic outfit, no need to worry what your clients will think/say cuz it's a great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stripes but I was super excited about your dog in the post! I have a black lab and his name is actually Bear! So cute!
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. very very cute outfit and love the ankle booties! any shade of red in a shoe is always a must have!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally need to be tap into my inner 'schizophrenic sailor' because this is all sorts of right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love it!! Those shoes are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So weird that people actually say shit like that to your face, especially when you look so awesome! I can't wear striped shirts because they hurt Rob's eyes, isn't that weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rob would never open his eyes around me! i wear stripes everyday. i can't get enough of them ;)

      Delete
  11. Love that sweater - and those shoes are awesome! So is your dog :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  12. great post danielle. and i agree with Caitlin i can't believe people say something! you always look stunning and so well put together. it's unfortunate people are so close minded. the downfall of a small town.....i live in one too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. just wanted to say that 1) I am so totally loving your new hair and 2) I LOVE this outfit! You are so beautiful!

    -Adri
    www.maviecherie.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stumbled across your blog. I love this outfit!

    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!