bright, clean, and not so much crap.

Every now and then (let's say once a month) I get in these mindsets where all I want to do is go through closets, drawers, and anywhere else Chris and I may stash things we no longer use or need, and THROW THEM OUT!  Of course, the fact that I have a minor addiction to interior design blogs doesn't help my downsize and redecorate mindset, but it never hurts to purge your life of clutter, right?  My house is definitely not cluttered when compared to, say, my Grandma's house, but I think everyone has their limit of knick knacks, and I've passed mine.  I've also discovered the problem(s): first, I don't necessarily like to display a lot of things, I mainly just like hunting for them, and then knowing that I have them; it's not conducive to simple living.  Second, Chris and I seem to be a dumping ground for stuff.  I don't know how it came to be, but we became the people that family just gave their unwanted stuff to, and it's not that we want it or asked for it, we just seem to accumulate it, and then we feel guilty for throwing it out.  BUT, if I can stop feeling guilty and throw things out, keeping only what I really like and will actually use, I wouldn't mind my house looking a little more like this...






I've already got good colors on the walls (white in the kitchen and bedroom, the palest, crispest green in the living room and den, and a dark, sophisticated slate blueish color in the dining room), an overstuffed, modern style sofa, good vintage pieces, retro lamps, and plenty of art for the walls - I just have to refine my collection and then decide how to arrange and display it.  I know some people think spending time or money on your house and the way it's decorated borders on (if not complete falls into the category of) shallow, but I have to disagree; being a homebody, my house is somewhere I like to feel comfortable and inspired, and being surrounded by things you like or like looking at just puts you in a positive mood!

When your life starts to feel cluttered, how do you de-clutter?  And how do you put sentiment aside and get rid of things you no longer use or need?

*All images from Pinterest.

9 comments:

  1. I'm going through the same thing right now! Seems like we are being swallowed by all of our stuff! I yearn to just pull everything I want to keep to the middle of the rooms and paint every wall & ceiling white! I'm considering a yard sale to unload some things. Maybe that'd be a good first step then I could use the profits for the paint! I love the photo inspiration you used. *sigh* Hopefully we'll both make some changes soon! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your idea about having a yard sale! I actually haven't had one in years, so I kind of forgot about that route (I guess because I live on a farm and off the beaten path), but I might just have to borrow a family member's yard!

      Delete
  2. ok but i really really like your living room so please don't change it. or just come and redesign our living room? please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks ;) I think I mainly just want to lighten things up in the den and get a more retro looking sofa for the living room instead of the old lady floral one.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the same boat! I just want to throw everything away and start fresh again. Though a lot of my stuff is from high school and from my mom, so it's a little hard for me to get rid of it. On a mental level, I KNOW it's not my style anymore but on an emotional level I just can't seem to part with it. Plus I know I've never seen anything like the things I have (mostly acquired thrift shopping back when no one thrift shopped), so I feel like if I get rid of it and then regret the decision, I'm pretty much screwed. I can't really go down to the Walmart and purchase something similar again, you know? If you figure out how to declutter without having that emotional burden, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're pretty much saying exactly what I feel! I try to tell myself that I'm not throwing away a memory or a person, just a knick knack representing that time in my life. I wish I wasn't so emotionally attached to random things because then it would be really easy to downsize!

      And I totally get what you mean about thrift shopping. I kind of don't want to part with my vintage finds because they're unique, but also because it seems like everyone and their brother thrifts now, so it's really, REALLY hard to find good stuff anymore.

      Delete
  4. I am such a home body as well. I keep my little apartment just how I like it and absolutely love finding new treasures to fill it with. I am pretty scared though for when I move in with my boyfriend and have to start refining my collection! I am sure it will be an enjoyable but crazy process!
    Leah Faye
    a clover and a bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, good luck with that! Luckily Chris didn't have much more than a few blankets and some random dishes, so when I moved it it turned from almost nothing to girly and he just went along with it!

      Delete
  5. That first image is so inspiring. It's like a breath of fresh air. It makes me want to clean!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!