1. it's always fun to get new clothes, right? well, if new clothes aren't in your budget, try wearing old things in completely new ways (i find that other blogs can be VERY inspirational), or try doing a little alteration! this vintage dress has been in my closet for years, but i've only worn it once. it originally came to about the middle of my calves, and if you know how short i am, you know that that length isn't flattering. so, in less than an hour, i'd cut, ironed, pinned and hemmed it to make myself a new dress for fall! (dress-vintage, cardigan - gift from chris, slouch boots - vintage)
2. utilize the barter system. in the time i've been selling on etsy, i've done some amazing trades with other sellers, and i've also done trades with artists and designers in person. most crafty people like to support other crafty people, and trading is a fun way to get something new without having to spend extra money. shy like me and a little nervous about asking people to trade? here's a site that takes the awkwardness out of asking.
3. make things with items you have around the house. something i made years ago (and need to make more of) was an air freshener that was neat to look at. it's super simple, just get an orange and poke whole cloves into it, completely covering it. the orange will dry and it will leave your house smelling AMAZING! and they're nice to look at, so you can make a few and set them in a decorative bowl on your coffee table!
4. redecorate your house. before chris and i moved into this house (and we had lots more clutter because i was well on my way to being a hoarder), he would come home from work and ask, "what did you change today?" you don't have to buy anything new, but move lamps, books, knick knacks, etc. from room to room until you have a completely new look with no money. but if you have a few dollars to spend, anything can be given a facelift with spray paint!
5. have friends over for dinner and a movie or game night. if you have an appetite like i do, eating out can get expensive. why not invite friends over and tell them each to bring one dish? that way it costs less, plus it's easier to cook one dish than an entire meal! and the best part, staying in means you get to wear sweatpants!
if you have ideas on ways to have fun or be creative without spending much money, i'd love to know!