Helping those who need it.

From time to time I like to donate a percentage of sales to a charity or organization I feel strongly about.  To date it's been animal welfare organizations as I've always thought of myself as an animal person, and when it came to helping, I was of the mindset that people could help themselves but animals could not.  I will be an animal person for as long as I live, but as I get older, I find myself more sympathetic, empathetic, and sensitive.  More and more, human rights and well-being issues have weighed heavily on my mind, and like all the animals I want to gather up and help, I've found myself wishing I could just give each person that needs it a hug, a home, love, food, treatment, and whatever it is they need to succeed.  After watching The Released | Frontline on Netflix over the weekend, I felt compelled to do more than sit on my sofa with moist eyes and a tight throat.





















If you've not seen it, The Released examines the number of currently and previously incarcerated with serious mental illness, and the cycle of arrest, release, and re-arrest that so often is the case when adequate treatment, medication, and support isn't readily available. The statistics are daunting, and the reality - depressing.  I feel so strongly about people like the ones I watched in The Released receiving the help they need to have a chance at breaking the cycle.  I know that I can't rectify the situation, but I want to feel like I'm not just sitting idly by while others are struggling.  So for the next month, I'm donating 10% of all sales from both my art shop and my jewelry shop to Refuge of Hope, an organization providing shelter, food, and access to community health care services for people like those in The Released, the homeless, and others who are struggling to get by.

This isn't a sales pitch by any means, but any time I'm donating a portion of sales to a worthy cause, I just want to be sure to share so you'll know who you're helping when buying from my shops!

5 comments:

  1. Such an interesting choice of cause- one I fully support. My boyfriend, though not an activist, keeps up-to-date with the numerous ways that our justice system is deeply lacking. Lots of prison conversation in our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell hey, information is power, and I don't think it's a problem that is talked about enough!

      Delete
  2. Good for you, love. Totally seriously, you're awesome, and it's great that you're using your shop for good. I just love you.

    Now, because you expect it: DONATE SOME MONEY TO MY VAGINA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, love you, lover. I'll donate money if you donate your boobs (to me).

      Delete
  3. omg. you are so freaking amazing... seriously. mental health in america has been on my mind A LOT in the past year, one because of my desire to be a psychologist and yes... the very many recent shootings and other stories. americans focus on the superficial like gun laws and its not gun laws.. its poor individuals not being given proper treatments. no i would not justify their actions no one can, but its very true the government is not doing anything in the realm of mental health.. i recently wrote a paper about this. i havent seen that doc but i will im glad its on netflix. you are amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!