birds, birds, birds

of course you already know just how much i love birds (even though i've been told i'm too young to love birds so much, as if it's a pleasure only to be enjoyed in my senior years), but i feel like i need to say just how happy i am that i have a husband who will go out of his way to ensure that any and every bird around him is safe. yesterday as he was pulling into the parking lot at his office, he noticed a robin hopping dangerously close to the road. when he approached the robin and found that it wouldn't fly away, he scooped the robin up to save it from imminent danger. back in the summer, he stopped for a cardinal that had been hit and was sitting stunned and injured in the road, and made an emergency run to the grocery store up the road for a "survival kit." so chris made the same emergency run for the necessary items to help this robin until he could get in touch with gwen, our avian rehabilitator.

vintage robin mug from freckle wonder.

after meeting with gwen, chris discovered that the robin had most likely been clipped by a car, thus making flying difficult, but not impossible as it didn't seem to have a broken wing. gwen said that the robin most likely escaped a predator, due to the lack of tail feathers and the new pin feathers coming in. that lack of tail feathers makes turning and other maneuvers in flight more difficult, which could have caused the robin to be hit while trying to turn or land.

hopefully, very soon, chris and i will be fully licensed wildlife rehabilitators so we can start more inclusive emergency care on our own when a bird needs help. until then, we'll keep our eyes, hearts and doors open to any feathered or furry animal that needs us. that being said, i will now get on my soapbox...

animals were here before us, and if they're lucky, they'll be here after us. contrary to what so many people think, or at least the way so many people act, humans aren't the only ones who belong on this planet. animals are here for a reason, and it is IMPERATIVE that we help them to stay here. please, please, please do your part to help them. if you're not hands on, it's okay, just try to be mindful and not hit them with your car; you're not the only one on the road. if you would like to call me a hippie, i don't mind, i just love animals that much. thank you, the end.

13 comments:

  1. It's so cool that you're going to get licensed, my mom is and for many years I've helped her rehab animals. We mostly do mammals but it's always wonderful to try and help wildlife.
    It's also wonderful to be able to catch up on your blog, I've missed you!
    PS I think about you every time I get change out of my Edie coin purse!
    xo,
    Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww, i've missed you, too, cole! i get bad on commenting, but i've been keeping up with your wedding (and your pictures are beautiful, by the way)!

    that's so awesome hat your mom does that! the world needs more people like her!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely! there aren't enough people in the world who think that way. we bulldoze our way through the world with little to no regard for who (or what) else we're affecting. the wildlife rehab thing is awesome! i've always wanted to do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. max came home the other day and said that he saw a car purposely hit a squirrel and was angry and wanted to say something to them. He was also sad for the squirrel... and let me tell you, i think i fell in love with him ALL over again.

    i love that you have such passion for birds and all furry animals. i think it's amazing to get licensed! when i was in texas, i wanted to volunteer at a wild life bird rescue. i had too many things on my plate but i'm kicking myself i didn't. It would have been such a rewarding experience.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, you are so wonderful! I love reading your posts about animals. we have lots of problems here with people not liking seagulls and they treat them awfully and hit the young ones that can't fly with their cars. it is terrible. not to mention the damage from the fishing hooks, nets, etc.. It is heartbreaking to watch, but Andy and I always try to feed them and do what we can to help. People complain about how much of a menace they are, but they forget that they are really important to the environment and that it wouldn't be so bad if they were responsible about their waste (I could go on for an hour about this)... ANyways, you and Chris are wonderful people for helping the way that you do!
    Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is aweful about the jerk at the mall... geese are the other problem. people think they are dirty, but they are so beautiful. I had a horrible situation that I saw on the highway in PA which I won't get into, I cried for days. They are so amazing, they mate for life, so incredible and sensitive! I love the seagulls, we have some really beautifully patterned ones here and sometimes while I am waiting for andy to get out of work, I will sit in the parking lot and sketch them. we have so many rescues that the woman is full! it is sad when there is nothing that you can do or when they get a hook in their bellies or something....
    Sorry I made you sad with my comment, this one probably won't help... But they do get to eat quite a bit of lobta! and plenty of Andy's lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. I love robins, they are one of my absolute favorite birds! Thank you Chris for saving they little fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. first off, i agree with you completely. i'm an animal lover too. it kills me to see how many deer get hit in my area on the road. yes, it helps to just be a lil' mindful and cautious that animals live here just as much as we do...more, even. much love and respect to you and your husband for getting your license! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love how much you love animals :)

    you remind me of my friend liz. she would always stop for any lost dogs and take them to the humane society and she was forever dragging me along to volunteer there on weekends in college. she also carries around a list of "cruelty-free" beauty products for when she's shopping.

    birds kind of creep me out since watching "the birds", but i still love how much you love them :)

    xo!

    love you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool thing to be involved in. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so awesome that you're going to become licensed rehabilitators. and super sweet that you both so aware of the birdies around you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely agree. I was once asked why I slammed on my brakes for a squirrel, and I couldn't believe not everyone does it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!